Our charity has supported visually impaired people since 1877
We were established as an organisation in 1877 to provide support and services for blind and partially sighted people. A lot has changed since then…
1877 – Oxfordshire Association for the Home Teaching of the Blind
Providing instruction in reading and writing, assisting in obtaining work for blind people.
1896 – Name changed to The Oxford Society for Visiting and Providing Books for the Blind
Quickly shortened to The Oxford Society for the Blind
1913 – The Oxford Society for the Blind Shop opened, Little Clarendon Street, Oxford
Blind people were employed to sell their own work and stocked a library of books in Braille.